[ltp] Serial Port on TP600E

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:31:28 +0100 (MET)

On 7 Nov 1999, Bob Koss wrote:

> > Have you compiled serial port support as a module?  You will probably
> > need to unload/reload the module after having enabled the serial port.
> > If you compiled serial port support as a static part of the kernel,
> > you'll most likely need to reboot.

> Huh?  Are you saying that the kernel out of the RH6.0 box doesn't
> support a serial port unless you recompile it???

No.

What I'm saying is that the serial port needs to be enabled at the point
where the serial driver is loaded, because it is at this point any
serial ports are detected by the driver.  For a static kernel, this is
at boot time.  For modules, it is whenever the module is loaded.

Notice that my original message says /reload/ a module or /reboot/, but
it says nothing about recompiling the kernel.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>