[ltp] Serial Port on TP600E

Armin Hartmann-Rother linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:31:41 +0100

Lawrence Lam wrote:

> Tried to unload/reload serial.o after tpctl but still didn't work.  Any
> further suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
> Lawrence
>
> >From: Bill Mair <bill.mair@bm-soft.com>
> >To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
> >Subject: Re: [ltp] Serial Port on TP600E
> >Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:42:17 +0100

> > > Huh?  Are you saying that the kernel out of the RH6.0 box doesn't
> > > support a serial port unless you recompile it???
> >
> >Changd H/W settings on the serial ports will only be seen when the
> >appropriate
> >modules initialize.
> >
> >So if the modules are "statically" embedded in the kernel then a restart is
> >needed
> >before the kernel see the changes. If the serial support is loaded at "run
> >time"
> >(i.e. as a module) then you can just unload/reload the modules.
> >
> >On my serial port I have an Epson Camera, a Wacom ArtPad II and my
> >PalmPilot (not
> >all at the same time of course :-) ). So it does work.
> >
> >Bill.
> ><< smime.p7s >>

yes: keep exactly this sequence:
1st:  unload serial driver and any software which might use it .
2nd: enable/disable or reconfigure the seriral ports as desired.
3rd: reload the serial driver.
if there is still no serial port, please check your PCMCIA stuff. if you also
have installed an ethernet card, this card eventually did grab your IRQ3.
Than you also have to disable this IRQ (and perhaps the IO port range)  for the
PCMCIA stuff (/etc/pcmcia/config.opts). Don't forget to issue /etc/rc.d/pcmcia
restart.

Armin