[ltp] backup/restore

jon.hamlin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:28:39 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_828X3klmOKnsVtQ3TwkDAA)

campo wrote:

> eduardo wrote:
> >
> > Thank you James.
> >
> >  But it didn't work.
> >
> > "James M. Corey" wrote:
> > >
> > > What about
> > > dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
> > > ??  (I haven't ever needed to do this)
>
> Hmm, I *think* you should be able to clone a disk using dd, at least -- it works
> for floppies. But I'm pretty sure you would need to specify a block size and a
> count. There are a couple of other considerations, such as, both disks need to
> be of exactly the same size. Even if hdb > hda, you'll end up with an incorrect
> partition table.
>
> You certainly cannot do this if either disk is in use. In practice you'd need to
> boot from a floppy.
>
> I have successfully migrated linux systems with a program called Norton Ghost
> which runs on DOS.
>
> Another option is to make a tarball of the entire fs (starting from /), but that
> creates a copy of the contents of the filesystem, not the filesystem structure
> itself, nor the boot block and the partition table.
>
> Re. the solution with the cat command, I don't expect this to work: a disk is a
> block device, cat works on streams. Has anyone ever used this successfully???
> --
> Campo Weijerman <campo@raleigh.ibm.com>

And the disk have to be the same geometry (# heads, cylinders, etc.) for dd to
work.

--Boundary_(ID_828X3klmOKnsVtQ3TwkDAA)

begin:vcard
n:Hamlin;Jon H.
tel;pager:1-800-946-4646 PIN 1464979
tel;work:904-457-8311
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Bank of America;Consumer Finance Technology
version:2.1
email;internet:jon.hamlin@nationsbank.com
title:Senior Technical Systems Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;10401 Deerwood Park Blvd=0D=0ABuilding 2=0D=0AMail Code: FL9-400-04-01;Jacksonville;FL;32256;
x-mozilla-cpt:;-25440
fn:Jon H. Hamlin
end:vcard

--Boundary_(ID_828X3klmOKnsVtQ3TwkDAA)--