[ltp] Alternative Operating System ?

A Kumar linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:44:24 -0500

Linux "passive"!!! IBM also sells e solutions based on their own OS's your
point?

> I use Windows on my ThinkPad as a coercive
> convenience.
> Of course I would not consider anymore any IBM
> portable if IBM
> continues the M$ "marriage". However it's sad to think
> the IBM is a fish and
> not the Ocean like M$. I guess the marriage is merely
> for convenience.

What are you talking about!!!!  The Linux is officially supported on the
600E.  How many other companies say they officially support Linux on their
laptops.  Stop spewing ignorance.

> Of course, but I cannot use 10 OSs for 10 different
> purposes!

That's why you find one that suits most of your needs!

> I am using my ThinkPad 770 for development purposes,
> but you know well
> it so easy for Win95 and 98 to crash. I'm actually
> living with Win98
> because the preload Win95 gave me lots of "multimedia"
> problems.
> I also use DVD and heavy speech processing, but WinNT
> doesn't
> recognize DVD while offers more stability in speech
> processing.
> I use USB for other works like scannering. In other
> words I do *many*
> things with my ThinkPad and it's not nice to reboot
> everytime between
> Win98 for multimedia, Win NT for serious applications,
> may be Linux
> for Java/C++ development. What about EMail ? Do I use
> Email under Win 98
> or Win NT or Linux? That's stressing, dear folks!

Okay this is what you do use windows 98!  It seems that that's the only OS
that has the features you are looking for.  You can wait for 2000 which
should also work for you.  If you need usb and DVD support windows 98 is the
only place you will find it.   Again this isn't IBM's fault!!

> And so I should buy a desktop? I spent a lot the
> ThinkPad for its
> power and portability, I do go in different places!

Yes buy a cheap celeron based desktop hookit up to the net and buy an
xserver for windows you can then use Linux where ever you are.

> So, folks, may be we should admit that Linux is not
> suitable for a laptop?
> Did Linus Torvalds take in account laptops?
> Linux programmers: try to be open-minded, not just
> open-source!
> Microsoft won because its code was mediocre but was
> simple and practical! Linux
> is toooo rigid for a flexible usage!

WTF! Stop spewing info that you have no idea