[ltp]redhat 6.1 install prob on TP760XD

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:56:28 +0100

Bob Dietric wrote:

> 1) It won't install in the graphics mode. It does install in the text
> mode.

Then it's not too bad ... ;-)

> 2) After install it doesn't detect my lpt port.

Docked , undocked or both ?

> 3) If a PCMCIA card is installed the system hangs during boot.  I did
> have version 6.0 installed on the Thinkpad in a configuration which
> didn't require the docking station and the PCMCIA cards worked in that
> configuration.  The Docking station has a Fire wire adapter card and
> TV tuner card installed.  There is something about the docking station
> that the pcmcia drivers do not like.

I'll give this a try this evening.

> 4)  I need the docking station to provide access to a Jaz drive which
> contains the Linux swap and other part of the file system.  I thought
> I could get an Adaptec Slim SCSI 1480A PC Bus card and run the TP
> outside the Docking station with the Jaz connected thru the PCMCIA
> card.  I could not get Linux to install or run in that
> configuration.Is this because Linux is looking for the SCSI card
> before it loads the PCMCIA module?  Is there a way around this?

Ouch....

AFAIK the swap partition is one of the first partions that is mounted.

When "docked" the JAZ is available at boot time via the docking stationīs
integrated SCSI interface.

The SlimSCSI adapter is only available much much later in the boot
process. I don't personally think that it is
a good idea to have your swap partition (or any other system mount e.g.
/boot) on a removable medium.
Also IMHO you lose the advantage of having a removable medium when you
can't unmount it and change it.
Is there some dire reason for your installation being this way ?

Bill.