[ltp] Questions from a new owner

Michael Cameron linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:10:48 +0000

"Ralph Zajac, Jr." wrote:

> 1. Do ThinkPads come with all of their RAM slots filled, or can I
> buy a 32MB upgrade and be able to use it to to boost the system's
> memory to 64MB?

You already have the answer to that one.

> 2. I'm looking for a case to carry the system with. I want one that
> doesn't scream "this is a laptop case". In this theme, I've been
> looking at several bags from Spire and the Cross Country from
> Trager. I've also looked at the backpacks from Targus and the
> Saddle Pack from Kensington. Does anyone have any experience
> with any of these bags? I'm looking for amount of room to hold text
> books/notebooks and how well protected the laptop is. Also, does
> anyone use the "sleaves" that let you carry your laptop in any bag?
> Most don't seem padded enough to me.

I use the Targus backpack.  It's my first backpack and I like it as
opposed to briefcases/laptop bags.  For the 770ED I use it copes well
and given the weight of that I think it would be okay for your needs.
It was quite cheap and is readily available from a number of stores so
you can actually see what you are getting which is quite important.

> 3. Finally, a Linux question. I want to install Linux and I have been
> doing some research on the different distributions. Is there one that
> works better than others or is there one I should avoid? I'm a senior
> in Computer Eng. and I have used several different Unixes over the
> past few years. I'm also my family's tech support line. :)

I use RedHat myself and have had no complaints.  Given that you found
this list I guess (hope?) you have also found Bill Mair's excellent web
site which carries a fair amount of Linux on TP resources, again mainly
Redhat.  Back home (Scotland) SUSE has been more popular until
relatively recently but I think RedHats marketing are getting the edge.
Whatever you choose has got to be better than the preinstalled OS anyway
;)

> Thanks for any help you can give.

You're welcome :)

--
Synteks Computing Limited                Tel: +44 (0)1563 822370
Broompark, Clockston Road                Fax: +44 (0)1563 822611