[ltp] external screen cuts out..

Edwin van Ouwerkerk Moria linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:14:36 +0100

rdietric wrote:

> > May I ask however whether you have an external monitor attached to your
> > docking station?  Can you get it to work?  I have an external monitor
> > attached to my port replicator, but it cuts out when KDE is ready to
> > show, and only comes back when I shut down.  The LCD works without
> > problem.

I may have a hint for that problem : check your graphics-driver
configuration.
I have a TP600 (which uses a NeoMagic NM2160 graphics chip), and
recently I discovered there is a setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config that
controls if the internal (LCD) screen is used, an external monitor, or
both.
Look for the section which will look something like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "MagicGraph NM2160"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    #VideoRam    2048
#    Chipset    "NM2160"
    Option     "intern_disp"
    Option     "extern_disp"
#    Option     "mmio"
EndSection

(Yours will vary depending on what type of chip you have). The options
"intern_disp" and "extern_disp" control the internal and external
displays respectively. Enable/disable them as you see fit. I use it in
this "double" mode to drive a beamer I use for a course I'm teaching.
(So now I can both preach the wonders of Java and Linux 8-))

--
CU,
  Edwin