[ltp] Copying from a FAT partition

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:21:27 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Alex Bell wrote:

> I have a copy of an XFree86Config file from a ThinkPad 380XD on a FAT
> partition, and would like to copy it to the /etc partition to replace
> the XFreeConfig file generated when I installed COL.  How do I get the
> file from the FAT partition to the /etc directory?

This is not really ThinkPad related, but even I can do this one. First,
RTFM. Installation CD's have all the HOWTO's on them. Use that first. It
will help keep traffic down.

What you have to do is mount your FAT partition. something like
mount /mnt/drivec /dev/hda1
should do the trick. You'll have to ensure the mount point (/mnt/drivec)
exists, or create it before you try the mount. After that, you can just
use cp to copy files.

Alternatively, you can edit your /etc/fstab file to automatically mount
that drive. Again, the mount point must exist.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio