[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:59:31 -0600 (CST)

Mark,

This is highly unlikely since DOS is limited to working with 8GB drives,
or rather the first 8GB of any drive.  However, there could be software
(DOS or otherwise) that accesses the drive directly.

Linux should be able to copy any drive up to 137GB, the limit of LBA
addressing, just using dd.

Can anyone confirm this?

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Mark Kennedy wrote:
> assumption: you can't clone a drive larger than 2G with linux since
> there is no kernel support for 64-bit offsets on intel hardware
> (yet) and since there is no I/O interface that uses block numbers
> instead of byte offsets.  is this assumption right?  if it is,
> does anyone know of any freely available DOS-based clone writer utility?
> or does anyone have a recommendation for a commercial alternative?

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio