[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:40:14 -0500

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | > that's what i thought originally.  but empirically, it isn't so.
> | > i tried 'dd' and a small perl program (based on sysread).  both
> | > stopped at approx. the same barrier: 7,560M.
> |
> | It appears that dd is using CHS/BIOS of some sort rather than LBA
> | addressing. I can't think of another way to do this right now, except
> | maybe backup software that will backup whole partitions. Of course, you'd
> | need a third drive temporarily to hold the backup file.
>
> This indicates that the disk driver has the wrong geometry.  I'm once
> again going to go out on a limb and suggest that you put
> "hda=1826,240,63" in the linux boot command.  That should allow programs
> reading /dev/hda to read the whole drive.

i took that suggestion ages ago.  here's the relevant /var/log/messages line:

  Nov 23 06:58:22 localhost kernel: hda: IBM-DCYA-214000, 7559MB w/420kB Cache, CHS=1826/240/63, UDMA

the reported CHS geometry is correct.  the 7559MB value looks like it comes
from a signature string, not from something computed by the BIOS.

/mark