[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:10:40 -0600 (CST)

| Seems like I hear a lot of suffering associated with 14G drives.  I
| wonder if there is a particular model that just sucks w.r.t. linux?
| These two drives: are they identical models?

The problem with the 14 GB drive is that it does not correctly identify
itself to the system. The standard way for a drive to tell the system
that it's larger than 8 GB is to claim that it has a raw geometry of
16383/16/63. The IBM 14 GB drive claims to have a raw geometry of
16383/15/63. The kernel doesn't recognize this as the magic "big disk"
geometry so it assumes the drive is reporting its actual geometry.