[ltp] thinkpad modem initialization string

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 07:57:48 GMT

   Does anyone know of the thinkpad modem's initialization string. Im running it on
   a thinkpad 600E. I'm also using pppsetup, if anyone has a better modem
   communications program please let me know

John,

afaik, the thinkpad 600e's modem is a so-called win-modem which
isn't really a modem, just a digital signal processor with a phone
socket attached.  You need a complex software driver which turns
the dsp into a modem.  This software doesn't yet exist for Linux,
although there is much activity to develop such software, not
least by trying to convince IBM to write it.

I use (variously) an external modem, plugged into the serial port,
or a PCMCIA modem.  To use the serial port you need to enable the
serial port using the "ps2" thinkpad configuration program under
MS-DOS (something like "ps2 sera enable", iirr).

Michael.