[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:21:39 -0500

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | Seems like I hear a lot of suffering associated with 14G drives.  I
> | wonder if there is a particular model that just sucks w.r.t. linux?
> | These two drives: are they identical models?
>
> The problem with the 14 GB drive is that it does not correctly identify
> itself to the system. The standard way for a drive to tell the system
> that it's larger than 8 GB is to claim that it has a raw geometry of
> 16383/16/63. The IBM 14 GB drive claims to have a raw geometry of
> 16383/15/63. The kernel doesn't recognize this as the magic "big disk"
> geometry so it assumes the drive is reporting its actual geometry.

ok, between your last message, section 11 of the large disk HOWTO,
and the output of hdparm, i'm beginning to understand.

so i should specify a logical CHS geometry of 16383/16/63 (instead
of 1826/240/63) to trigger the large disk support and everything
else will just work because the disk driver uses logical block
addressing (ignores the CHS geometry) and the number of logical
blocks reported by the disk (27,609,120 in this case or 13.1G)
is correct?

if so, then bill needs to change the large disk hint on his
linux/thinkpad page.

/mark