[ltp] TP600 got reserved memory space ?

Michael Cameron linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:54:44 +0000

William Wong wrote:

> I have just installed 64M RAM to my TP600, so I guess I also need to add
> append="mem=128M". Am I right ?
>
> Or there is some kind of memory reserved by system or whatsoever so that I
> need to put in a different memory value.

I just added 128Mb (from Crucial $199, with no shipping charges) and had to use append="mem=191M" so
I guess you need to use append="mem=127M"
This has been discussed many times on the list, you are correct there is some memory you must deduct
from the total available.  I do not know how much that is or whether it is system specific but 1Mb
seems to cover it.  You could always play around with a few different values at the lilo prompt if
you need those few otherwise wasted bytes.

Michael
--
Synteks Computing Limited                Tel: +44 (0)1563 822370
Broompark, Clockston Road                Fax: +44 (0)1563 822611