[ltp] TP600 got reserved memory space ?

Thomas Wimmer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:52:35 +0100

Michael Cameron wrote:

> William Wong wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed 64M RAM to my TP600, so I guess I also
> > need to add append="mem=128M". Am I right ?
> >
> > Or there is some kind of memory reserved by system or whatsoever
> > so that I need to put in a different memory value.
> >

> I just added 128Mb (from Crucial $199, with no shipping charges)
> and had to use append="mem=191M" so I guess you need to use
> append="mem=127M" This has been discussed many times on the list,
> you are correct there is some memory you must deduct from the
> total available.  I do not know how much that is or whether it is

From the "ThinkPad 770 (9548), 770E/ED (9548) 770X (9549), 770Z
(9549) Hardware Maintenance Manual" (should be the same for the TP
600, just look it up, the document can be found somewhere on the IBM
website):

"DIMM cards are available for increasing memory capacity. The memory
size is displayed in kilobites. 576 KB is reserved by the system, so
you calculate the memory size by the following equation:

	[total memory size (MB)] × 1024  576 (KB)

For example, if the total memory size is 64 MB, it is
displayed as 64960 KB.
(...)"

> system specific but 1Mb seems to cover it.  You could always play
> around with a few different values at the lilo prompt if you need
> those few otherwise wasted bytes.
>
> Michael

Thomas
--
Thomas Wimmer        |   When you're in a fight with an idiot,
thomas@wimmer.net    |   its difficult for other people