[ltp] Is anyone running vmware successfully?

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:59:40 -0400

Sounds like the problem may be with the X server...  I use VMWare on a
466Celeron/192MB PC with decent performance - easily runs one app at a
time, but takes a while to get everything back into memory when
switching to the VMWare window...  I also have it on my 560X/64MB, there
it is truly slow but still better than rebooting to WinNT just to view a
Word doc or something.

I use Redhat 6.0 and have used Gnome and KDE on both machines.  I use
VMWare's modified X server.  The only crashes I have had were do to
WinNT trying to access the CDrom (on my PC) while a CD player was
running under Linux.  I think the problem is related to how the CD
player access the CD - it seems  to use a "raw" access and not a normal
mount.  I don't think I've evr crashed VMWare on the thinkpad (no floppy
or CD to get confused about :-)

VMWare is awesome, our group has got a bunch of licenses - it's a good
way to provide access to Office apps on our Linux cluster.

Tom Rockwell