[ltp] Is anyone running vmware successfully?

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 20:36:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Geert Janssen wrote:

> I have tried it on my 770Z (366 MHz Pentium II) and found it VERY slow!
> I set it up such that it would use the physical drive where I have Windows95
> to boot from. And it did after minutes... I agree it is funny to have a window
> on X Windows with Win95 in it. To get VMware to use the full screen I used
> their special display adapter that comes with the tools download.
> I even had Win95 in VMware use the "virtual" ethernet connection to
> communicate with Linux. It's really like having 2 machines in a single box.
> But the speed, alas I said it before...slow...slow...

I have started months ago pretty much like you. I have tried Win95 and
later Win98 and with both, performance basically was a veg.

Then I have installed Windows NT and performance was _significantly_
better. In fact, with my P-II 300MHz and 256MB RAM I can hardly tell the
difference between running Windows NT natively or on top of VMware
running on Linux as the host operating system.

With the Win-9x guests I noticed that the host CPU had a load of 1.0
even while no application was running in the guest operating system.
Using NT as a guest, the host CPU remains idle while the virtual guest
CPU is idle.

So the bottom line is if you want to run a Windows guest operating
system on Linux using VMware, then pick Windows NT. (I can't say
anything about Windows 2000 because I have never seen it yet).

--
Friedemann Baitinger       fb@baiti.net      http://baiti.net/fb

Notice that this code may break your machine, randomly fail to work with
new releases, misbehave and/or generally screw up. It might even work!