[ltp] Is anyone running vmware successfully?

Mark Shacklette linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 01:58:01 +0000 ( )

> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Geert Janssen wrote:
>
> > I have tried it on my 770Z (366 MHz Pentium II) and found it VERY slow!
> I have started months ago pretty much like you. I have tried Win95 and
> later Win98 and with both, performance basically was a veg.

My win98/vmware was running like a DOG until I turned on the accel option in X.
 Then, things picked up REMARKABLY and I now notice only a slight degradation
over a straight boot of Win98.  So the performance is I'd say for me around 90%
of normal.  That's good enough for me.

I do think that if I reinstall in the end (which I may very well have to), I'll
certainly go with NT.  I had the bright idea that Win98 would use less memory
than NT (which it will), but didn't count on stability issues....

Thanks for the responses.

Mark