[ltp] RH6.1 on ThinkPad 770ED

Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:23:53 -0400

agml@hellix.com wrote:

Has anyone tried to install RedHat 6.1 on his/her 770ED? I have tried
different solutions (with a CD-Rom using the BOOT disk, BootNet and PCMCIA),
but none has worked so far. For BootNet, I am not that surprised, as it
needs access to the Ethernet card and therefore needs the PCMCIA slots to be
working, which is not the case by default. However, with the CD-Rom or the
PCMCIA boot disks, it is ok until the screen gets totally black when, I
think, trying to run X11... Why is it trying that I don't know, but what is
sure is that it stops there and the only thing that can be done is to
reboot... Any idea?
<<

I've seen this problem on several 770 models. The solution that works for me is:

1. Let Setup proceed until the screen blanks, and wait for disk activity to
stop.
2. Press Fn-F7 to switch to external display mode (you don't need to connect an
external display).
3. Press Fn-F7 again to switch back to LCD mode.

For me, this always gets the display running correctly.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

"AGML (Hellix)" <agml@hellix.com> on 10/06/99 02:00:22 PM

Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

Has anyone tried to install RedHat 6.1 on his/her 770ED? I have tried
different solutions (with a CD-Rom using the BOOT disk, BootNet and PCMCIA),
but none has worked so far. For BootNet, I am not that surprised, as it
needs access to the Ethernet card and therefore needs the PCMCIA slots to be
working, which is not the case by default. However, with the CD-Rom or the
PCMCIA boot disks, it is ok until the screen gets totally black when, I
think, trying to run X11... Why is it trying that I don't know, but what is
sure is that it stops there and the only thing that can be done is to
reboot... Any idea?

     Thanks in advance, Alan.