[ltp] IBM thinkpad 600 and sound

Leif Jonsson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:58:37 +0200

Steven Aiello wrote:

I guess that the most common way to have sound is in module form.

I have it as a module on my TP600, I find it convinient to add the
sound data in /etc/conf.modules, if you add  the lines:

alias sound cs4232
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
synthirq=-1 synthio=-1

You sould be able to do:

modprobe sound

to get sound. But please observe that there are some problems with sound
after
apm (and reboot), so it doesn't recuperate after apm (it sounds, but not
nice).
So I have done a script:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Ripping out CS4232..."
modprobe -r cs4232
echo "Putting CS4232 back..."
modprobe cs4232

which I run after apm, or reboot.

> When i module form i am not able to load insmod
> cs4232 cause it says device is busy (or some such think)    Can anyone offere
> assistance ?

The busy problem can be that some other device has stolen the io for
sound,
check to see that the irq's needed are free (cat /proc/interrupts) and
check
that you don't have any other sound modules installed (sb for instance)
by
doing an lsmod. You can also check (cat /proc/ioports) to see if some
module
has reserved the addressrange needed.

Cheers
-Leif

--
Leif Jonsson, ERA/T/KA       mailto:Leif.von.Jonsson@era-t.ericsson.se
Ericsson Radio Systems       phoneto:+46(0)84047215