[ltp] KDE or Gnome?

William Ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:57:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, AGML (Hellix) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell his experience with either interface? Why should I prefer
> one to the other?

alan - i know this isn't a troll, but the fact is, all X11 window managers
have a place for most users...

i use both KDE and GNOME, but they really are two different animals... KDE
is built on the Qt libraries, and is a desktop environment with a window
manager and a suite of hundreds of clients...

GNOME is a set of GTK++ software libraries that support GNOME-aware X11
clients, such as the E window manager, and comes with a suite of
GNOME-aware clients...

what is nice is that if you have GNOME and KDE installed, you can run KDE
clients under a GNOME-aware window manager, and GNOME-aware clients under
KDE's window manager...

IOW, (IMO), they're mutually beneficial... i like gftp (seems to be much
more stable than IGLOOftp), but i like some of the KDE clients...

which environment do i use (most X sessions) most often? KDE... BUT, i
also run GNOME-aware clients under KDE, such as gnorpm, which is AFAIK the
only graphical RPM interface 'tweaked' for RH6.0 at this time...

just my $0.02

regards,

bball