[ltp] IBM thinkpad 600 and sound

Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:19:50 -0400

I have installed suse 6.2 on a 600 thinkpad.  I have compiled support for the
cs4232 sound card.  It works, but I hear the sound playing over and over in
multiple waves.. it is documented on the IBM thinkpad 600e being linux
certified page ( at ibm site) . I have compiled support for the soud both in
module and non module form.  When i module form i am not able to load insmod
cs4232 cause it says device is busy (or some such think)    Can anyone offere
assistance ?
<<

The repeating wave buffers occurs after the PCMCIA probing clobbers the Crystal
(SB emulation) I/O ports. Although I documented an overly-elaborate work-around
for this one the IBM HelpCenter web site (in the TP 600E Red Hat 6.0 HOWTO), a
better solutions appears to be simply removing the "include io=0x100-0x400"
entry from the PCMCIA config.opts file. When using the kernel 2.2.12 and PCMCIA
3.0.14, removing that entry resolves the problem on all systems that I've tried,
and I've not heard any reports indicating that it doesn't work. Also, it seems
to resolve the APM issue as well.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761