[ltp] Re: IRDA on a TP600

Andreas Siegert linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:40:45 +0200

Quoting Carsten Gross (cg@suse.de) on Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 05:12:41PM +0200:
> Hi,
>
> Am 11.10.99 um 14:39 schrieb Andreas Siegert:
> > Windoze reports IRDA at IRQ7, Serial at IRQ4,
> > tpctl (0.7.0) actually reports the same
>
> If you are actually able to do a
>
> cat /dev/ttyS1
>
> without getting an I/O Error (the command just "hangs" in the correct case
> and is interruptible with Strg+C) the low level part of the hardware works

Unfortunately I get:
cat /dev/ttyS1
cat: /dev/ttyS1: Device or resource busy

Pilotmanager tries for ages when /dev/pilot is /dev/irnine, but returns
quickly when it is /dev/ttyS1.

I just relized, that even though I do have all the highlevel modules loaded,
the irda module is missing :-(

I guess I need to recheck my modules...

> The IR-LED won't light up if you didn't boot windows before (tested this
> with a CCD camera). If you started Windows before, the IR-LED will light up
> also with Linux. Please try to boot windows once with IrDA enabled and do
> only a warm reboot to Linux and test again please.

Is this permanent?
In my experiments so far I always hat windows warm boots inbetween. Do I need
that every time I switch on the system or only once?

> > 02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
> > 03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
>
> > which matches tpctl (should it on COM2?):
> >   serial port 1:                                     enable  COM1 0x3f8 IRQ4
> >   serial port 2:                                     enable  COM2 0x2f8 IRQ7
>
> 0x2f8 with IRQ 7 is your IrDA port then. If you use
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 7
>
> and the irtty device driver everything should work then.

Ok, I'll add that to my irda startup script.

afx

--
SuSE Muenchen GmbH                Phone: +49-89-42769-0
Stahlgruberring 28                Fax:   +49-89-42017701