[ltp] external PS/2 mouse or trackpoint

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 01:13:01 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Per Kreuger wrote:

> Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed the following behaviour on a 770Z, running linux-2.3.20 kernel :
> > when an external PS/2 mouse is plugged at boot time, there's no way then
> > to get the trackpoint working after, neither with gpm nor with XFree86.
> > I restarted gpm, I restarted XFree, I unplugged the external PS/2 mouse,
> > it didn't work.
> >
> > If I plug the external mouse only AFTER the linux boot, then both mouses can be
> > used at the same time. Did anyone experienced this same behaviour ?
> >
> > Fabrice
>
> Yes on TP 600E running RH6.1. Very annoying!

Perhaps this is relatet to some BIOS setings, which can be controled with
tpctl or ntpctl (can be found at
http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~thood/tpctlhome.htm and
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfluch/ntpctl.html)

The later has the menus:

    Int. pointing device (current)     enabled   (ctrable)
    Ext. Pointing device (current)     disabled  (not ctrable)
    Int. Pointing device (CMOS)        enabled   (ctrable)
    Ext. pointing device (CMOS)        disabled  (not ctrable)

The posible values are [e]nable, [d]isable, [a]uto, and perhaps some are
set to auto and therefor is the internal pointing device not recogniced
when the mous is pluged in. Try to experiment with these values and see
what happens (I by myself has no experience with that ... just a thought)

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de