[ltp] XFree86 3.3.5

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:37:40 +0200

Hi all you 770 peoples...

I have found the time to look at the XFree86 3.3.5 source, and am proud
to say that my patches are indeed in the main stream code base :-)).

Looking at the CHANGELOG the patches were actually integrated in
3.3.3.1b, 24 April 1999.
    "1326. Add support for Trident 9397DVD (#2705, Bill Mair)."

My patches related to version 3.3.3.1 and addressed the following issues
:

    1) XFREE86_SVGA
        a) Correct recognition of the Trident Cyber9397 DVD chip set
        b) Chip set timings

    2) SuperProbe
        a) Correct recognition of the Trident Cyber9397 DVD chip set
        b) Recognition of 8MB video RAM (770X/Z @ 1280x1024)

Notes regarding my "patched" XFree86 server:

    1) Above patches are now main stream.
    2) TrueType font support (xfsft) still does not appear to be in
there yet,
       so I will see what has to be done here. I personally require TTF
support
       so you can rest assured that I will find a way.
    3) Direct Graphics Access 1.1 (DGA) patch (for and from VMWare) is
now main
       stream code (3.3.3.1a, 17 April 1999).

So the only thing that is really missing now in the standard XFree86
distribution is the
TTF support.

On another point, I am now setting up a new server
(http://www.Linux-ThinkPad.org) and
when that is completed, I will be moving this mailing list there. My
770X pages will also
move to this site, and I am looking for support on the other models and
distributions.

I know that there are loads of great resources and sites out there for
Linux ThinkPads, but
I wanted to help out by donating a domain where users can find a wealth
of information for
the OS we love on the H/W that we use.

So please let me know if you are interested in maintaining parts of
and/or contributing to Linux-ThinkPad.org. Welcome contributions are
things like tools (e.g. tpctl), XF86Configs, PCMCIA configs,
suspend/resume tips and tricks, and just about anything that relates to
Linux on ThinkPads.

I guess thats about it for now.

Bill.
Going places with an OS thats going places.
Linux on a ThinkPad 770X -> http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp770x.html