[ltp] Large Disk help installing Redhat 6.0 on a 770Z

Kent Norton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
23 Oct 99 13:32:46 PDT

Hi all:

Many people seem to be claiming victory in installing Red Hat 6.0 to a
Thinkpad 770Z (with a 14GB disk), but I've tried following various sets of
instructions with no success.  I also see that someone has patched the 6.1 Red
Hat kernel which might help solve the problem, but I'd like to try and get 6.0
installed, since that's what I have.  Here's my situation.  I have Win98
installed in the first primary partition (as FAT32).  This partition is 2GB.
In a second primary partition I have installed Win NT 4.0 (as NTFS).  This
partition is 4GB.  I have PartitionMagic 4.01, and using that I'd like to be
able to install Red Hat into an extended partition at the end of the second
primary partition (after NT).  However, the installation routine does not
recognize that the extended partition exists as a valid target for the
installation.

I have created very detailed set of installation instructions for the steps
I've followed in creating the first two OS's (Win98 and NT 4.0 + SP5) and I
intend to do the same with adding Red Hat.  I will gladly make these
installation instructions (every step noted) available if I can just get Red
Hat installed in this configuration.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Kent

Kent Norton
E-Mail: kentnorton@netscape.net