[ltp] Screen Flicker = VANQUISHED, sound = well i'm still fighting...

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:40:10 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Matthias Laessig wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Brad Langhorst wrote:
>
> > On the sound front.
> > I have tried building the sould opts into the kernel - no help with the initial click.
> > Running X at 32bpp makes the mp3 playback problem much worse.  When i drag a window
> > around sound is badly distorted.  I can't figure this out.  It does not have to do with
> > CPU load.
>
> What tool are you using for playing mp3? Use xmms and set it a+s. It uses
> RealTime-Code then, makes it running very smooth here... no distortions at
> all...

I had this problem on my TP 770 a while agoo, and it turned out, that it
has nothing to do with user space aplications, but with some kernel
sound modules conflicting with each other ... right now I use only the
following modules:

cs4232                  2488   0 (autoclean)
ad1848                 15420   0 (autoclean) [cs4232]
uart401                 5856   0 (autoclean) [cs4232]
sound                  55380   0 (autoclean) [cs4232 ad1848 uart401]
soundcore               2448   5 (autoclean) [sound]

and the folowing line in modules.conf

alias char-major-14 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0

to load them on demand...

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de