[ltp] Kernel panics

Matthias Laessig linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:49:40 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Joshua Jore wrote:

> The software that's running is stock slackware 4.0 except the kernel was
> upgraded from 2.2.6 to 2.2.13 and the latest pcmcia card services were also
> re-compiled with the new kernel. Per SIGELF... I haven't seen that anywhere and
> I don't remember seeing any error or warning messages when compiling the kernel.
> I've seen the laptop lose kswapd while I'm using it with the cover open or when
> I'm telnetting in with the cover down. It's not a thermal problem, AFAIK. It's
> seemed to work ok when using the stock 2.2.6 kernel and original card services.

Okay, let's say it straight. I've no idea what's wrong... the only thing I
can imagine is that something's wrong with either apm or pcmcia.
Let's check that:
1.) If you don't insert the pcmcia card & pcmcia-modules
and idle the box - does the box crash? (I know that takes a while)
2.) Heat up the box by compiling something big (like linux, or better
XF86). Crash?
3.) Now do insert pcmcia (please recompile pcmcia, don't forget the apm
support). Crash?
4.) Recompile a kernel without apm and try from step 1...

*waiting*

/matthi.

--
To err is human; to really f**k up requires root!		   [anon]