[ltp] Screen Flicker = VANQUISHED, sound = well i'm still fighting...

A Kumar linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:35:46 -0400

> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, A Kumar wrote:
>
> > If I rember correctly you have to be root to run Xmms in
> realtime mode and
> > you shouldn't be running something like xmms as root!  Running
> user level
> > programs as root is dumb.
>
> Well, what do you prefer: distortion or a bit "in"security?

Distortion.  Serioulsy I have seen xmms + smbmount(playing over a mounted
share) bring down the entier system more then once.  I also think it is
important for people to understand that they should only be root if
necessary.  If you are having problmes with xmms try a diffrent player its
not the only one.