[ltp] My labtop running linux keeps on crashing.

Moses DeJong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:35:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Carlton Davis wrote:

Is your machine crashing under X or is it just in the console mode?
I have a 770X and I have had some problems crashing under X but
I have not seen a crash outside of X. Also, do you have a DOS16
partition with the thinkpad pm_hiber.bin file (for hibernation) on it.
I think not having a hibernation file caused me some problems when
I first set up my thinkpad with Linux (I use RedHat 5.2 with a 2.2
kernel).

> In the kernel configuration (I attached my .config file) I enabled
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL,   CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND,
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE and CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS as suggested
> by at "http://resources.inw.com/linux/thinkpad770/node11.html" but my
> labtop is still crashing.

You should enable the "SysRQ" feature in the Kernel. It is handy
to be able to press Alt-SysRQ-u to remount your partitions read only
and then press Alt-SysRQ-o to powerdown. Problem is something when X
crashes even Alt-SysRQ does not work.