[ltp] My labtop running linux keeps on crashing

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:52:40 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Anthony de la Rosa wrote:

> I've had COL 2.2 on my thinkpad 600 for over 2 months now and have never
> ever had it crash on me.  Why not give caldera a try?

This is not a matter of distributions ... linux is linux. Btw, I run now
for over 8 month now Debian on my TP770 stable without any problems and
im sure, that RH, SuSE, COL or what ever will run also without any
problems.

I have now installed on five TP 770 Debian and only once had problems due
to a crashing system (also a little bit other symptoms) ... this TP then
was returned to IBM ... hardware problems :-) The few crashes I know from
my TP are mostly related to some experimental stuff: IrDA in conjunction
with compression used to crash on one kernel (was it 2.2.12), but only if
the module was inserted, this beast of IBM Turbo TokenRing PCMCIA card
tracks always my system down with an kernel panik (has any body set this
card up on an TP770?) ... and the other few crashes (<5) were after
awakening from suspend, and it is now quite a long time ago (more than 3
month now) so I guess this problem is some how obsolet.

IMHO these crashes are most likely due to the kernel or bad hardware (for
the later add the option -j to the line MAKE = make in the Makefile of the
kernel and recompile it ... it should be quite a nice RAM test, since
there will be several instances of gcc lunched simultaneous and gcc is
reacts very sensitive on bad RAM).

Martin

--
If the box says 'Windows 95 or better', it should run on Linux, right?
                                                               - anonymous

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de