[ltp] BIOS update - PnP

Alex Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 01:40:31 -0700

Folks,

Took the great leap into the unknown yesterday and upgraded my TP600E BIOS to the latest version from IBM's website.

It adds a new feature to the config utility - Quick Boot. This apparently controls whether the BIOS sets up PnP devices or leaves it up to the OS. The default is to leave it up to the OS.

Upon booting into Linux the happy penguin logon screen told me I had a 75MHz PII processor. Funny, that. The manual says it's definitely 300MHz.

I switched the Quick Boot function to force the BIOS to set up PnP devices and Linux seemed happy to recognise a 298MHz CPU.

Just a salutary warning in case anyone else feels like doing some screwtop, ziplock surgery on their TP's brain.

Cheers,
Alex

A complete lack of evidence is proof of a successful conspiracy