[ltp] My labtop running linux keeps on crashing.

Carlton Davis linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:53:05 +0000

Moses DeJong wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Carlton Davis wrote:
>
> Is your machine crashing under X or is it just in the console mode?
> I have a 770X and I have had some problems crashing under X but
> I have not seen a crash outside of X. Also, do you have a DOS16
> partition with the thinkpad pm_hiber.bin file (for hibernation) on it.
> I think not having a hibernation file caused me some problems when
> I first set up my thinkpad with Linux (I use RedHat 5.2 with a 2.2
> kernel).

Hi Moses,

I don't know if it is coincidental or not but I notice that my machine
crashed
when I am running xlock. To ascertain whether or not it is xlock that is
crashing
my labtop, I am going to leave it overnight without xlock running.

No, I don't have dos16 partition: I only have ext2, swap, a GNU HURD
partion and a
NTFS partion.

Thanks for responding.

> You should enable the "SysRQ" feature in the Kernel. It is handy
> to be able to press Alt-SysRQ-u to remount your partitions read only
> and then press Alt-SysRQ-o to powerdown. Problem is something when X
> crashes even Alt-SysRQ does not work.

Carlton