[ltp] RAM freezing

Nico D linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:08:35 +0200

Tuesday, October 26, 1999, 9:52:40 AM, Martin Flunch wrote:

MF> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Anthony de la Rosa wrote:

>> I've had COL 2.2 on my thinkpad 600 for over 2 months now and have never
>> ever had it crash on me.  Why not give caldera a try?

MF> This is not a matter of distributions ... linux is linux. Btw, I run now
MF> for over 8 month now Debian on my TP770 stable without any problems and
MF> im sure, that RH, SuSE, COL or what ever will run also without any
MF> problems.

MF> I have now installed on five TP 770 Debian and only once had problems due
MF> to a crashing system (also a little bit other symptoms) ... this TP then
MF> was returned to IBM ... hardware problems :-)

MF> IMHO these crashes are most likely due to the kernel or bad hardware (for
MF> the later add the option -j to the line MAKE = make in the Makefile of the
MF> kernel and recompile it ... it should be quite a nice RAM test, since
MF> there will be several instances of gcc lunched simultaneous and gcc is
MF> reacts very sensitive on bad RAM).

=======

I have many Linux crashes.
Now that I've read the above mail,
I'm afraid it's really a problem of bad RAM
since the RAM BIOS test is not really successful.
I do use "Win95" and I don't have that many crashes. May be Win95 isn't
using the defective RAM area as a sensitive area?

Unfortunately the IBM online assistant says me that RAM bios test
freezing should not be a problem.  (?)

I reinstalled RH 6.0 but this time the Linux booting freezes at the KeyMap
module, then I got bored after all that many Linux practical problems on my
TP770ED, and I'm forced living with "Win95" with all crashes
expecially under software development usage.

How should I interpret the freezing of RAM bios test?
Does RAM bios test really matter?  Please let me know. Thanks.