[ltp] 600E Large Disk Config

Nick Bower linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:17:23 -0500

> | So trying to resintall, I can't force RH's DiskDruid to use more than
> | 7.5GB.  Is there anyway to overcome this and use all my disk?  I've
> | checked some of the archives and Large HDD HowTo, but am still at a loss
> | for a solution without using Parition Manager (partly also because I no
> | longer have a windows partition).
>
> Run "hdparm -i /dev/hda" and send us the output.

/dev/hda:
 Model=IBM-DCXA-210000, FwRev=CX6IA82F, SerialNo=PR0XRGF7150
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/15/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=420kB, MaxMultSect=16,
 MultSect=off, DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=1023/240/63, CurSects=1011810540, LBA=yes, LBA=yes,
 LBAsects=19640880
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120},
 DMA modes: sword0 sword1 sword2 mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 *mode2

Diskdruid definately doesn't help out.  I had a good solution - just
install into a small 2GB root partition, then manually make the other
(~8GB) for /home with fdisk later when everything is done.  Trouble is
that Diskdruid still writes the entire disk up to 1023 as an extended
partition leaving you with no options at all.  Sheesh...  RH made a
*big* mistake taking fdisk out of the installation.

So now, I'm about to make rescue disks and partition the drive from
scratch with fdisk, then install (for the 5th time) RH6.1 into these
partitions.  Unless you have a better suggestion :)

nick