[ltp] 600E Large Disk Config

jez miller linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:22:09 +0000

When you get the boot prompt, you need to enter the true geometry of
your disk. Disk Druid by default doesn't see anything above 1024. I have
a 770Z with 14.1G disk, so at the prompt I entered:
linux hda=1826,240,63 mem=255M

(The memory param was entered because the thinkpad was not seeing the
full memory above 64M. This is detailed here:
http://www.anarchysoftware.com/system/thinkpad770z/redhat6.html)

Nick Bower wrote:

> Accepted delivery of a 600E machine last night with the 10GB HDD.  I
> installed RH6.1, but later realized I'd missed that DiskDruid didn't
> recognize more than 1023 cylinders (~> 7.5GB) during the installation.
> RH 6.1 no longer seems to give you the choice of using fdisk anymore
> either.  Somehow I thought these problems were fixed with ATA & LBA.
>
> So trying to resintall, I can't force RH's DiskDruid to use more than
> 7.5GB.  Is there anyway to overcome this and use all my disk?  I've
> checked some of the archives and Large HDD HowTo, but am still at a loss
> for a solution without using Parition Manager (partly also because I no
> longer have a windows partition).
>
> BTW - I tried Mandrake's Diskdrake, but that only recognizes 7552 MB
> (1023/240/63).
>
> cheers, nick.
>
> fdisk:
>
> Device Name     Boot    Start   End     Blocks          Id      System
> /dev/hda1       (boot)  1       3       22648           83      Linux
> /dev/hda2               4       1023    7711200         5       Extended
> /dev/hda5               4       38      264568+         82      Linux
> Swap
> /dev/hda6               39      1023    7446568+        83      Linux

jez miller: code jockey
503.943.3271 desk
503.490.4752 cell
jez@webmd.net