[ltp] iSeries, Hibernation, ACPI

Georg C. F. Greve linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
28 Oct 1999 19:37:27 +0200

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Oct_28_19:37:18_1999-1

Hi Everybody!

I have been reading the list for a while and now I wanted to post some
questions that arose. I=B4m sorry that I pack all of them into a single
mail but it had to be done. The majordomo will drop any mail from a
non-subscribed address and I can=B4t have the list clutter up my main
mailbox, so I had  to "tweak" the headers a bit to get the posting
through. :-)

First of all: my Thinkpad is an iSeries i1418 with a mobile Pentium
300MMX and 64MB of RAM. The Linux Kernel works great with it (besides
the things I will mention below) and with the help of ALSA sound is
also no problem.

Here come the problems:

Hibernation:
  My thinkpad seems to be incapable of entering hibernation (also
  called "suspend to disk" on many machines) under Linux. I=B4ve played
  around with it, but nothing seems to help. Even if I leave the
  Windows partition pretty much intact (with the activated hibernation
  file) and run a Linux Kernel with APM support on the rest, the
  machine will not enter hibernation if I press Fn-F12 as it does
  under Windoze.

  This is pretty annoying because hibernation is a major feature of
  Laptops (in my eyes) and it=B4s definitely not the Linux Kernels fault
  because some other Laptops can hibernate even under Linux. So it
  must be a Thinkpad (maybe iSeries) specific flaw... how do I solve
  it?

ACPI:
  Kind of related to the hibernation problem above. My online manual
  claims that the iSeries supports ACPI (Advanced Configuration and
  Power Interface). Is this (as I fear) a proprietary protocol that we
  have no access to so it can=B4t be built into the Linux kernel or is
  there some other reason it=B4s not included yet?

iSeries support:
  Without touching the sensitive topic of whether a hardware vendor
  should constrain a customers choice of software I think we should
  strive for full support of the IBM iSeries Thinkpads. In my eyes
  they are the perfect GNU/Linux Laptops because they are cheap but
  very useable and have pretty much all the advantages of Thinkpads.

  This would of course mean to write the programs for BIOS interaction
  and getting hibernation to work (see above). The only problem in
  this context appears to be the lack of information. Does anybody
  have a good idea how to get it?

Regards,
=09=09Georg

--
Brave GNU World <column@gnu.org>
the monthly GNU forum in English, German,

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Oct_28_19:37:18_1999-1