Boot freezing at Keymap (was Re[2]: [ltp] RAM freezing)

Nico D linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:23:18 +0200

Wednesday, October 27, 1999, 12:04:17 AM, MF wrote:

MF> compiling the kernel as above is quite a relyable method to test ram,
MF> since the gcc is quite sensitive to bad ram. I have heard from a memtest
MF> package under debian, which should be even more sensitive ... I will ask a
MF> friend of my for that package...

Thanks. Anyway I waited the RAM bios test to finish, it seemed freezed
but it was busy just for 39 minutes. Yes, that's long.
The IBM online assistant told me that

euic>  The system will run hundreds of integer tests on every
euic>  block of memory to assure the memory is working
euic>  correctly , the more Ram memory you have the longer this
euic>  will take.

So I guess the RAM bios test is completely exhaustive, hence I can exclude the
RAM defects from my crash-possible-reason list.

So now, my problem remains the boot freezing at the "Loading Keymap" module.
Anyone knows what may be wrong?

Thanks.