[ltp] vmware 1.1, tp 770ED

jez miller linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:28:22 +0000

Do you have this box doing dual-boot AND VMware? Having LILO in your
master boot record and handling moth Win and Linux booting is the only
reason I can think of for getting the lilo boot while in VMware. I am
curious why/if one would want VMware and dual boot.

If you don't want or don't have a dual boot box, then the problem is
with the master boot record for linux interfering via VMware with the
boot for the Win95 partition. I am not clear on the details of how
VMware handles this, however...

I have a cohort here at the office who has VMware running smoothly on
his 770Z, I'll see if I can get the lowdown on how he set up his boot
config...

Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Anyone gotten it working?
>
> I installed it from RPM, and it almost works, but not well enough...
>
> I'm trying to get vmware to run Win95 off of my existing windows
> partition.  I set up a separate hardware profile as per the
> instructions.  There are a couple of problems: first, it takes a
> full ten minutes to boot Windows -- the BIOS banner shows up right
> away, then the window goes black for 5 full minutes, with just an
> underline cursor in the upper left.  Then finally I get my Lilo
> prompt, and can launch windows -- which takes another 5 minutes.
>
> After it's up, it seems reasonably fast, so it's just something
> goofy going on at startup.
>
> Once Windows is running, I can't figure out how to get it to talk
> to my serial port or network.
>
> Also, since I installed vmware, I've been getting an endless stream
> of these messages:
>
>      Oct 28 10:33:04 grendel sendmail[29990]:
>      gethostbyaddr(192.168.110.1) failed: 1
>
> I assume that's the "unused" subnet that vmware is trying to use to
> let Windows talk to the network; but why is sendmail touching it at all,
> and how do I make it stop?
>
> This is on RH 5.2 (2.0.36.)
>
> --
> Jamie Zawinski             jwz@jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/