[ltp] insalling Linux on ThinkPad 365E

Vasanth Rakasi linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:28:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody!

My search on finding a solution to this problem on
internet has come to an unsuccesful pause.
I couldn't think of anybody else who could help me
with the problem I am having installing Linux.

I am trying to install Linux on an old Pentium 75
based IBM ThinkPad. It does not have a CD-ROM drive. I
am trying to install it through ftp or nfs. I am
connecting to the network using a PCMCIA network card.
(NE1000/NE2000 compatible card from Actton. I believe
Linux supports this card.)

I have two sets of four floppies: bootnet.img,
boot.img, supp.img, modules.img. I have created one
set using "rawrite" on Windows and the other using
"dd" on linux.

When I start installing, I first tried using the
dikette which has boot.img. Everything goes on fine
till the point it asks me if I have any PCMCIA
devices. When I say yes, I am asked to replace the
diskette with one that has supp.img on it. When I do
so, a window pops up saying something to the effect:
"failed to mount drive..."

I tried with both sets of diskettes and I get the same
message. I also tried starting the procedure with
"bootnet.img" instead of "boot.img" and I still
encounter the same problem.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I don't know
what.  Could you please help me with how to go about
installing Linux on ThinkPad 365E via nfs? Thanks.

vasanth