[ltp] Anybody have any experience upgrading TP 755 Hard Drive?

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:57:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Mike Culbertson wrote:

> Where do you get EZSetup?

On the 750, hold F1 while turning the machine on. It may be the same for
the 755.

> > Just what happened when "the BIOS had a fit"?
>
> It gave me a funky error before the machine started the bootup process. Yank
> the drive out, it boots fine, with a boot disk.

Try IBM's web site to look up the error. We folks on this list cannot help
without the exact error message.

Can you boot a floppy with the drive installed? If so, it may be an
invalid boot record.

> I've never seen a drive this large available for the 755 series, except with
> some aftermarket modification. I was wondering if anyone had a software
> solution. Maybe EZBios?

I would be loathe to try a software solution. Mostly because IBM has been
known to use non-standard IDE controllers and BIOS, which may not be
compatible. The 755 should take at least a 5.1GB drive, and probably
larger than that.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio