[ltp] Installing Linux on a 770Z

Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:41:08 +0100

>I've been trying to install Linux Redhet 6.0 on my 770Z Thinkpad.

> I start the machine with the boot disk and everything works fine. Welcome
> screen and all the questions about PCMCIA and SCSI are answered. But when
> I come to the fdisk / Diskdruid menu the problems start. When choosing
the
> Diskdruid option machine reports Can't read partition table.

> Has anybody had any similar problems or do anybody know any solutions to
> this?

If you've got the same model of 770Z as I have, then you'll have a 14.1 GB
hard disk, which is where Linux is having trouble. It seems to get the
wrong disk geometry from the BIOS. Using fdisk instead of Disk Druid won't
help, because the RedHat install uses Disk Druid to set the mount points.

The following web page should be useful:
http://anarchysoftware.com/system/thinkpad770z/redhat6.html

Regards,

Peter Stanton   pstanton@uk.ibm.com
MQSeries Development   IBM UK
MP 211, Hursley Park, Winchester, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Phone: Internal - 247310   External - 01962 817310