[ltp] Installing Linux on a 770Z

Paul Barrett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:01:31 -0400 (EDT)

Kenneth Lundstrom writes:
 > I've been trying to install Linux Redhet 6.0 on my 770Z Thinkpad.
 >
 > I start the machine with the boot disk and everything works fine. Welcome
 > screen and all the questions about PCMCIA and SCSI are answered. But when
 > I come to the fdisk / Diskdruid menu the problems start. When choosing the
 > Diskdruid option machine reports Can't read partition table.
 >
 > Has anybody had any similar problems or do anybody know any solutions to
 > this?

I had this same problem when I replace my 4 GB hard disk with the 14.1
GB disk.  Neither DiskDruid nor fdisk would work, so I did a web
search and found the Ranish partition manager.  It's a free DOS
program but understands most filesystems.

I downloaded it from Ranish's web page at:

  http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ ,

and installed it on a DOS boot floppy.  I then partitioned the hard
disk and did the Red Hat install.  Disk Druid recognized the disk and
partitions, and the rest of the install went fine.  Afterwards I
noticed that a copy of this program was on my CheapBytes CDROM.  Nice
program.

I hope this helps.

 -- Paul