[ltp] APM, suspend and X lockup

Thomas Wimmer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 19:35:36 +0200

Hi

With the ongoing discussion about suspending I think I can
contribute something:

First my machine: TP770ED

My kernel-settings:
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y

For those who configure their kernel with the menu/X:
[*] Advanced Power Management BIOS support
[*]    Ignore USER SUSPEND
[*]    Enable PM at boot time
[*]    Make CPU Idle calls when idle
[*]    Enable console blanking using APM
[*]    Power off on shutdown
[*]    Ignore multiple suspend
[*]    Ignore multiple suspend/resume cycles
[ ]    RTC stores time in GMT
[*]    Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls

apmd 2.4 patched to accept pre-suspend and post-resume commands,
pcmcia-cs 3.0.14 and kernel 2.2.12.

suspend works fine (resume only with power-sw, opening the lid and
pressing the Fn-key)
standby works fine (resume with any key/mouse)
hibernation also works fine (resume with power-switch)

same with the Fn-Fxx keys.

No lockup of the X server (Bills patched one), _EXCEPT_ if I switch
on the "hibernate after 30 minutes after suspend" feature (either in
the windows-control panel or tpctl).

One sidenote: you canīt switch to suspend with a pcmcia-networkcard
AND the power-supply online. you either have to take out the pcmcia
card OR disconnect the power-supply. I do have no idea why that is
(and windows gives a stupid error-message: "you canīt suspend if you
use a pc-card for communication")

This said I must say I am extremely pleased with linux & suspend,
especially since linux doesnīt crash every 30 minutes. the only
unpleasent thing is the not-working-modem.

Thomas
PS I didnīt get X-lockups, with or without the framebuffer support
compiled in the kernel.
--
Thomas Wimmer        |   When you're in a fight with an idiot,
thomas@wimmer.net    |   its difficult for other people