[ltp] switching parallel port modes?

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:52:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> I have a complete windows-free tp770x with just linux installed. Does
> anybody know how I could switch the parallel port into ECP mode? I
> checked 'tpctl' but it appears that tpctl can't switch parallelport
> modes.

In the meantime I have built a bootable diskette with the correct
PS2.EXE from the IBM support download pages. I have configured the
parallelport to:

  PS2 PAR MO ECP
  PS2 PAR DMA 3
  PS2 PAR IRQ Enable

and PS2 ? PAR
returned the current state exactly as I expected it: Enabled, ECP mode,
IRQ7, DMA3.

However, once I rebooted Linux, /cat/proc/parport/0/hardware still said:

base:   0x3bc
irq:    7
dma:    3
modes:  SPP

If I do this one one of my other machines I get:

base:   0x378
irq:    none
dma:    none
modes:  SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2

Has anybody managed to make the linux kernel on a thinkpad believe that
it is dealing with an ECP capable parallel port hardware?

--
Friedemann Baitinger       fb@baiti.net      http://baiti.net/fb

Those "other" dudes seem to have forgotten where they came from.  As a
result, they don't have a clue as to where they are going, either...