[ltp] pcmcia ethernet doesn't work after upgrade

Michael Cameron linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:50:39 +0100

eduardo wrote:

> I CAN 'ping' to all machines in the nework - even using names. It works OK.

Where are the names being resolved? /etc/hosts? NIS? DNS?

> When I conect to a server using ftp or telnet, after the answer about
> my password, the terminal does not answer anymore.

Local (on your LAN) or remote server?  You get a login prompt?

> If I use Netscape, the browser doesn't show some pictures and it
> hangs.
> I cannot use the ftp even inside Netscape.
>
> If I use a remote conection by telephone (PPP) all the programs work
> OK.

It sounds like you may have no network problem per se - you *may* just
need to set up your DNS servers properly.
This would explain how you can reach local machines but not remote ones.

What is in the file /etc/resolv.conf (if it exists)?  Can you use "host"
or something similar to look up hostnames?

HTH

Michael

Synteks Computing Limited                      Tel: +44 (0)7974 791745
You can now send SMS messages (<160 chars) to my cell phone via email:
mcameron.mobile@Technologist.com