[ltp] IBM Linux HOWTO for ThinkPad 600E and RH Certification

Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:39:01 -0400

> I would have been really nice if the sound configuration script that IBM
> recomended was not a jpg, that way you could cut and paste the script, rather
> than typing it in or atleast make a download link!

Actually, I was trying to keep it as standard HTML text, but the tool used by
our HelpCenter folks wouldn't allow the use of the "preformatted" HTML tag, and
thus all leading spaces (used to properly indent the script and make it
readable) were being removed by the browser. The only method I could use with
their tool (as it is currently implemented) that would keep things aligned
correctly was to make it a bitmap. My goal, after all, was to demonstrate a
technique, not to force that particular method on anyone.

Now, as far as providing a link to a downloadable script: there are restrictions
at IBM on what we can re-distribute (GPL/legal complications that we're working
to resolve), which prevents me from create a separate, downloadable script file.
I expect this situation to be temporary, and that perhaps in the near future we
will be able to provide scripts that will automate some of the ThinkPad-specific
configuration updates.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761