[ltp] IBM Linux HOWTO for ThinkPad 600E and RH Certification

William Ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 00:34:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steven Filling wrote:

> On 14-Sep-99 kfrechet@us.ibm.com extemporized:
> > This is just the beginning. As we add HOWTO's for other models, we'll try to
> > develop a useful page hierrarchy, with pages for common issues (eg. sound
> > configuration, kernel options, etc.).
> >

> Don't get me wrong, Keith - I use a TP600 myself with RH 6, and appreciate
> IBM's good intentions.  But - how in the hell can you claim  certification when
> [as your pages note] the internal modem is completely unusable under linux?
> Does IBM not understand that marketing falsehoods do not improve it's public
> image?

i'm sorry, but i have to agree... the only current laptop i can think of
that could claim to be "Red Hat certified" is the Sony Vaio 505TR...
everything in the unit works (X at 1024x768 16bpp; sound; and ... ta da!
the internal modem is a 'real' modem)... (forgive me if i leave out any
other manufacturers or models... and FYI, most other Sony laptops use
winmodems too)...

companies like IBM and Compaq don't even tell consumers that the internal
modems in their laptops are 'winmodems,' and when asked about Linux, still
claim: "our units are only certified for use with Win9/5/8/NT... blah,
blah, blah..."

so far, all i've heard from companies like Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc. about
Linux support on laptops is lip service like "we plan to..., etc." - most
likely to cash in on the "Open Source" buzzword in the industry now, or to
sound trendy and hip...

nope, i'm still waiting for a fully useful IBM stinkpad (but i like my
1720 and 1452!)

:-)