[ltp] IBM Linux HOWTO for ThinkPad 600E and RH Certification

James M. Corey linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:17:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 kfrechet@us.ibm.com wrote:

> A Linux HOWTO for the ThinkPad 600E is now on the web at
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html.

Needs some work.  What it really needs is a set of RPMS which, when
combined with a stock redhat 6.0 install, yields sound and correct
apm functions (so that all I have to do is rpm -Uvh ibmtp600e*.rpm).

When I first installed Redhat 6.0 on the laptop, it took a half hour
or less as I recall. X and networking were just fine, by way of
RedHat.

I tried to follow the directions given.  Unfortunately, there was too
much struggling for me to recount all of it.  In the end, I'm tripping
over the nfs changes from going to 2.2.12, so cfs does not work as it
did before, though I have better apm support (hooray), but still no
sound.

When I run sndconfig, it claims to have found a CSS4610 and refers me
to ALSA.  And exits.  (I only compiled the kernel with
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m and CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232=m; it didn't help). Not
very exciting or satisfying.