[ltp] Triple boot on 770z 14.1GB

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:31:57 -0500 (CDT)

LILO and NTLDR both must boot from the first 1024 cylinders. This
typically means the first 8.4GB. If security is a big deal (that is,
securing your NT filesystem), there is an issue that linux can read NTFS.
If you make a partition for NT with its installation program (and not on a
running NT system), it will make a FAT partition and convert it to NTFS,
so you are limited to 4.2GB. The largest partition NT can start from (if
the drive is already partitioned and formatted) is 8.4GB.

Other than that, I'd suggest a small DOS partition to start with. Win98,
NT and Linux can read it. You won't want real DOS on the drive if the BIOS
reports 256 heads because it won't boot. The drive can boot using LILO or
NT Boot Loader. Since this is a laptop, you won't likely have mulit-user
issues, and I think I would set mine up like this:

1 - 1.0 GB FAT16 with Win98, NTLDR and Loadlin
2 - 0.1 GB ext2 /boot
3 - 4.2 GB FAT32 for Win98 use
4 - 4.2 GB NTFS for WinNT use
5 - 0.2 GB linux swap
6 - 0.2 GB NTFS for WinNT swap use
7 - 3.2 GB ext2 /
8 - 1.0 GB ext2 /usr
 = 14.1 GB

Or something similar. You may want /tmp, /var or other linux partitions,
and you don't need an NT swap partition, but if you do, you won't fragment
your swapfile.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio